Monday, May 7, 2012

cause what can you change?

I used to have this no regrets mentality. It's useless and a terrible way to approach life. That's true, most of the time. The other side of it is to just not do something or put yourself in a situation you could come out on the other side of in regret. This was my mantra about 10 years ago. You know, when most decisions didn't hold a whole lot of weight on the rest of my life, at least for me. Easy to say when you're being guided through life pretty closely by parents and other authority figures, you know?
So, the truth is, as I began making bigger decisions that had bigger impact, I kind of started regretting a couple of them. A few times I was really angry at myself. Maybe there was even a time or two that I begged and pleaded to change it. It didn't. It won't.
I've been kind of reflecting on these regrets. They don't sting very badly anymore and when I really look back, knowing what I know now, especially, I almost always take comfort in the fact that it really did happen for a reason and if I had done the opposite all of these other amazing things might not have happened.
This kind of reinforces that wise 16 year old I was. I mean, it really is useless. Sure, maybe I wouldn't have hurt over it then, but I probably would've later. And, not to mention, aren't I better for having gone through it? Hindsight, right?
There are a few things I cringe about when I reflect back, but I'm starting to shake myself out of it much faster at least.
There will be more mistakes. That, I know for sure. I'll pay for them. I'll probably regret them a little, too. Life goes on, always will.
This may well be all very simple, but, come on, if you can really tell me you don't struggle with it, then high fives for you and when can you teach me?
What would life be without what ifs and what does it all means? But, maybe that's just me?
It's just a theme that keeps showing up in almost every aspect of my life from my current tv show selection, the songs that randomly play, the dreams I keep having and the conversations that unfold.
So, I mean, every passing moment is a chance to turn it all around. Not change it, but turn it around. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment