Friday, June 8, 2012

truth.

Sometimes when I read a book, I honestly get pissed at how simple it is. "Oh, really, that's ALL it takes," is what rolls through my head as I finish the last page, close the book and make its new home on the shelf.
I told you I got the new Augusten Burroughs book and that I was conflicted about devouring or savoring it. I did both. I started it with heavy eye lids in bed one night until they weighed a million pounds. On my next day off, I took it to the pool and knocked out most of it in an afternoon floating in the pool. And then, it was almost done and I wasn't ready for it so it sat there teasing me for a few days. I finished it this morning on my patio.
It was so simple even though it was about some of the most difficult topics in life. As I was reading it, I wasn't pissed at the simplicity of it all, more so that no one in my life had ever had the balls to be so honest about the subject matter. It's just like hey, this is life, some of it is really hard and it sucks, but if you don't get over that, you're not living. Thank you.
So, as I hoped, it has inspired me, maybe not entirely to write (although here I am literally moments after it joined the family on the shelf), but to just get over it and move on. If you want more for yourself, get over yourself and do it.
I mean, the title isn't deceptive, it is very much a self-help book, but one that is easy to digest because it's just like "hey, no, for real though, this is real talk about (insert subject here that you're scared to have real talk about)"
So yeah, that's all it takes. He doesn't have any professional credentials to give advice or state the facts, just life experiences and tons of it. Been there, done that, here's how I survived.
It just got real, y'all. Stop talking about it, do something about it. Message received. Maybe it's been delivered before, but I wasn't ready to hear it? Got it. Loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment