Tuesday, March 20, 2012

here's my picks.

I'm getting back into music, y'all.
It's not what Pitchfork is telling me to listen to or "cool" or anything. Some of it's rediscovered old songs, some of it's old newly discovered for me. Not all of it is from Glee or sung by Glee cast members, either. Some of them are definitely pop jams.
I forgot about that little thing called Spotify. I was initially just using it to listen to new albums to get a test run (which is a great use for it, btw), but now I'm using it to its advantage of being able to pretty much listening to any song I may want to hear at any moment.
I also forgot that this can be public (facebook) knowledge. Which, at first, made me embarrassed because my living room dance parties of one (two if you count Kitty, I do) were there for public consumption guilty pleasures and all.
But, then I realized, that few things say more about me than the songs I'm choosing to listen to, especially the ones on repeat, and I'm trying to be more open about who I am every day. It seems silly I'm sure, and I promise I won't get into it again, but I have been so completely guarded in every way imaginable.
Cameron Crowe said in an interview that he makes a playlist for every month. He has anthologies of mix tapes from most of his life. How awesome is that? I started doing that on iTunes a while ago, but of course, stopped. But just like I wrote about the other day, it is really amazing how certain songs can take you back to a time so clearly. I can see, hear, taste and remember things that I had all but forgotten until the first notes of that particular song plays.
My March (aptly named "ides") playlist is constructed of songs I keep playing on repeat, some of which I only have on vinyl so this makes it so much easier to obsess, Glee songs that I love so much more than the original (ok, so there's a Lady Antebellum cover on there, hate me, it's such a good drunk dial song, k?! and, i listen to the hell out of it in the car), some old favorites that got plenty of repeat play throughout my life and once I listened to them realized they're all failed love songs, I'm a little conflicted about that.
They're songs that have hit me in my most vulnerable times. That put words in my mouth I just couldn't seem to dig up myself and like I said, tapped me on the shoulder and said "hey, you're not (completely) crazy, I felt that way, too."
Here's my most most played song of March (so far):
I mean, damn! Bruce is killing me (softly) right now circa 1985. When I was born. (creepy)

No comments:

Post a Comment