Monday, February 20, 2012

go your own way.

You know what kept me up last night? Rolling Stone fucking magazine, man. It's trash, y'all. What happened? I haven't looked at that magazine in years. Not really sure why, I think maybe its redesign turned me off or something. I was up googling again and stumbled upon an article that was the biggest piece of shit I've ever read. Which made me want to read more garbage and it just really pissed me off.
For one, that mag used to be the epitome of rock journalism and pop culture. I used to fantasize about one day being able to write for them on my trips to the book store where I poured over its pages and clipped its stories and pictures to put on my bedroom walls. But, now, I feel like they would be so lucky to have me. I'm not saying I'm the best writer ever, but I'd for damn sure be honored by the assignment no matter what and do it justice.
Where has all the good writing gone? I'm so sick of hearing it's dying. We're killing it by letting what's published be ok. I read books, a lot of times best sellers, and often, as much as I may have enjoyed them, I find myself saying, "oh, that's all it takes? Ok."
Meanwhile, really passionate and inspiring publications are folding and I'm sure amazing books aren't being published because they don't have a real housewives tragic spin to them and it's just so disheartening. What does a writer aspire to these days? Where do the dreams lead?
I guess it's just more of a reason to go at it alone. Find my own path. Set my own standards. Lord knows Jann Wenner's lost sight of it all. I'll always have Cameron Crowe though. Maybe that was the only standard I ever should have aspired to in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment