Thursday, February 9, 2012

i dig pop music.

Ok, so I'm about to be pretty vulnerable. Recently, I admitted to my re-exploration with myself through different musical genres. I've even admitted to watching glee. (although I haven't publicly begun to scratch the service on my obsession.) I admitted to going to see Kelly Clarkson, too.
I've been really conflicted about my pop music feelings. However, after having a day off parked on the chaise lounge plowing trough episodes of glee with a smile on my face (and tears in my eyes. Twice.), I've realized that sugary sweet pop tunes and 30 year olds playing high school kids just brings joy to your life.
Lyrics are the thing that hooks me into a song. And while I have so many favorite songs from some amazing artists, sometimes simplicity says so much more. Music, like books and movies, make life so much better, sometimes even easier, because it's a wake up call screaming, "Holy shit. Yes! I feel that way, too!"
I just want to feel hopeful and powerful about life and if that makes me a 30-year old high school kid, please give Finn Hudson my number because his rosy cheeks and tragic dance moves make me weak in the knees as he belts out "don't stop believing." As much as I felt like I hated high school, it was kind of a magical time. Things about life start revealing themselves to you and it just feels so mysterious and exciting. You have so much hope about what you're going to become and everyone's telling you you can be and do anything you want to. And, most of the time you really fucking believe it.
College is your chance to work towards it and shit starts getting real and your twenties are these downward spirals of doubt and negativity. You learn that some of those things you've gotten a peek at and thought they were so fantastic often times end up breaking your heart in one way or another. And you clam up. Shut yourself off. Try not to feel anything because then you can't get hurt.
Pop songs are popular for a reason and, yes, they are sugary and surface level, but they're also universal whether we want to admit it or not and pretend that we're so much deeper than that. I mean, we can be, but our hearts are so on the surface of everything we do that's what makes us want to bury them so deep inside.
So yeah, I've put my guilty pleasure out there, but it's about damn time I allow myself to be on the surface and, for God's sake, to let simple things make me happy and hopeful.
Life is hard and hurts, but it only gets worse if you stop believing it can be so much better than this and forget that the biggest and best most magical things have yet to find their way to you.



(p.s. I did purchase glee valentines from target last night and if you want one, give me your address. You won't get any Finn stickers though, I'm keeping 'em for myself to put on my trapper keeper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment